Monday, October 19, 2009

Oh Bother

Alton Brown owes me a waffle iron.I watched the season premiere of Good Eats last week. It was all about cooking the best breakfast. I've admitted that I can't cook a decent breakfast. Which is really unfortunate because it's my favorite meal of the day. I love breakfast foods! I just can't cook them very well. Luckily, eating out for breakfast is fun and a lovely treat.

But back to my waffle iron. Alton cooked bacon on his. Now, I never cook bacon. I shouldn't say never. I think I've cooked it a total of three times. It's not because I know how unhealthy it is (although that does play a part), but it's mostly because I'm afraid of it. Cooking it produces a lot of grease. A lot of grease leads to grease fires. And grease fires rank up there as one of my biggest fears in the kitchen. So I've just tried to avoid the chance of a grease fire by never cooking bacon or frying foods. But when I saw Alton cook bacon on his waffle iron, that didn't look scary.

Well let me tell you what is scary. Cleaning the waffle iron after you cook bacon on it. I guess I didn't really think this thing through the whole way. I mean, of course it looked easy when Alton cooked it. He's on television. Nothing is real on television. When his bacon was done, he got to eat it and then went home. They didn't show the little Good Eats grunt backstage scrubbing the waffle iron and shouting profanities. They wouldn't dare. After what felt like at least an hour, I did manage to get it clean. Or so I thought. Because over the weekend, I wanted to make some waffles for my family. Only this was the only waffle I made and it's still in the waffle iron.

6 comments:

Kristin said...

I can't help with the waffle iron BUT, if you like bacon, BAKE IT in the oven. I use my cookie sheet, some parchment paper and a cooling rack and it bakes BEAUTIFULLY!! None of that dangerous grease I know you don't like and it's perfectly crispy every time :)

Unknown said...

Sara, I always used to do mine in the microwave (we're fans of turkey bacon and I like it better), cooked on a bed of paper towels on a plate. But recently I did regular bacon on a cooling rack over top of a cookie sheet. It was awesome! And no ruined waffle maker!

Sara said...

Thanks, guys. It sounds like I can make a big mess of baking it in the over, too. Does it splatter grease all over the oven?

Marie said...

I vote for bacon in the microwave. I make it that way all time. And it is funny because breakfast is the only meal that I can actually cook. But I am more of a french toast or pancake kind of girl so I do not have waffle iron. And when I do not cook bacon in the microwave I just do it the old fashioned way of the skillet. But out of my gazillion fears that float around in my head all day grease fire is not one of them. Maybe I should add that to my list though. :)

Unknown said...

aldi has the nice rotating waffle iron on sale this week for 24.99! might want to invest in it ;) lol

Sue said...

Whoever heard of cooking bacon in a waffle iron?! Ever since the invention of the microwave I cook mine there on top of a brown paper bag with paper towels on the bag and 1 layer of paper towels over the bacon. It is crisp every time and all the grease is on the paper towels and the bag. There is no splatter and NO CLEAN-UP, just throw everything away. My grocery store will give me a couple brown bags just for the asking. GIGI cooks bacon that way too. I know that may be too much environmental waste for you, so you may just want to eat bacon out!