Friday, December 19, 2008

What's a Buckeye?

All I know is that every year my family enjoys eating peanut butter & chocolate candy/cookies that we call buckeyes. Seems the rest of the world calls them peanut butter balls, but I find no fun in that name at all. I remember making these cute little spheres of deliciousness for my friends at work nine years ago (my first Arizona Christmas). Sure, they'd all heard of the Ohio State Buckeyes, but they had no clue what a real buckeye was or why I would name my little cookies after them. Well, how about because they look just like buckeyes?!

Maybe it's because I'm from Pittsburgh which is oh so close to Ohio, but we do have buckeye trees in Pennsylvania, too. I just did a little research and the Native Americans named the nuts on these trees 'buckeyes' because they look like the eye of a male deer. In any case, these treats will be made in my house every Christmas and we will always call them buckeyes.

Buckeyes
2 sticks butter, softened
4 c powdered sugar
1 1/2 c graham cracker crumbs, ground fine
2 c creamy peanut butter
12 oz melting chocolate

Mix the first four ingredients together. Rolls into 1 inch balls. Refrigerate overnight. When ready for dipping, melt chocolate in microwave or double boiler. Insert a toothpick into the cookie and coat all but the top. Place on waxed paper to harden. Store in the refrigerator and allow cookies to come to room temperature before serving.

3 comments:

Carie said...

Those look d-lish and easy! I think I will make them this year!

Team Thompson said...

making these soon!

windee said...

I can't believe it has been 9 years! They were so yummy. I loved the buckeyes!