Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Waxing Philosophical

I feel like I haven't been here in forever. I've abanadoned my blog! Sorry. I just watched There Will Be Blood and although it's a very serious movie about a very serious subject and Daniel Day-Lewis's performance was seriously good, there are some strange quotes in that movie. Maybe it's because I've seen those particular scenes too many times in trailers and parodied on SNL, but they just sound so silly to me. Sorry, Friend. I know you love your Danny Day.

Anywho...you probably weren't, but just in case you were wondering where I've been all Thanksgiving weekend and why I so far seem to be doing no baking during the holiday season, I do have my reasons. The first is that I placed my order with The Spice House and I'm waiting for my spices. They should arrive Friday. Secondly, I did bake. For Thanksgiving I made a pumpkin pie. I even took a picture of it and was going to post it. But see, my friend Jennifer made a pumpkin pie with real pumpkin and then my friend Valerie posted a picture of her pie on her blog and it looked better than mine. Hmmpf. Call it sour grapes. Call it pride. I just didn't feel like showing off my plain old Libby's Pumpkin Pie when my friends clearly outdid me.

That whole experience made me question why I'm even doing this blog. Is it just to hear people tell me how great my baked goods are? And am I more of a perfectionist than I thought? Then I thought about my granola bar attempts and my blueberry cake and all the other recipes that certainly didn't come out perfect and how I honestly shared my mistakes and disappointment. Then I felt better. I'm not doing this for validation after all. If anything, I might be making mistakes you'd make but now you won't make them because I made them. You're welcome.

Wow. This is why I can't be kept out of the kitchen. I get all philosophical and stuff. Hurry, Spices, hurry! And here's my pumpkin pie with the burned crust. Yum.

3 comments:

Team Thompson said...

Post the pie picture! :)

Jennifer said...

Nothing a little aluminum foil wouldn't fix. And I think it's wonderful that you are blogging, successes or failures. It's a little piece of you on the giant Internets (of life).

Just Another Mom said...

Your pie looks yummy. I use the crust cover from Pampered Chef to keep mine from burning...it works well for me. I for one, like your blog. You are much more adventurous than me, and I love to see what you come up with!