Sunday, November 9, 2008

Thumbs Down on Bobby Flay

Everyone knows I love the Food Network, but there is one chef I could really do without. His name is Bobby Flay and I'm sure you've heard of him. He's everywhere now. He even sells blenders at Kohl's. Whatever. I'm sure he can cook; he is one of the Iron Chefs afterall. But why, oh why, is he so cocky and smug and arrogant? How do I know this? Because he has a show called Throwdown with Bobby Flay and here's the concept as taken from Food Network's website:

Chef Bobby Flay is on a secret mission: to challenge the absolute masters in
different kinds of cooking – award-winning BBQers, bakers, pizza makers and
more. In each episode, one of these cooks thinks Food Network is shooting their
profile for a show. What they don't know is that Bobby is going to drop in for a
surprise visit and challenge them to an unexpected cook-off. Since they're in
their element and Bobby's out of his, prepare for an exciting, tension-filled
competition.
Have you seen it? It's as bad as it sounds. He tricks these masters into believing they're being honored by Food Network (which I admit they kind of are, but it's so much more complicated than they think) and then he pops out of nowhere and challenges them to see if he can do what they do...only better. These are locally loved restauranteurs, chefs, and cooks who've been doing what they've been doing all their lives. Some use family recipes that have been passed down through generations. And as the size of the audiences at these throwdowns would indicate, they all have a loyal following among the locals. Imagine Bobby Flay challenging Alex Damianos at Jim's Drive-In in Pittsburgh or Chris Bianco at Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix.

It could be all in fun, but sometimes Bobby Flay actually wins the challenges. In other words, there are times when he de-thrones the independent mom and pop business he is honoring on his show. He probably laughs the whole way home on his private jet back to New York while they're stunned, embarrassed and distraught. Who does he think he is?

But, oh how I love it when he loses.

3 comments:

Team Thompson said...

I can't stand him!!! :)

Jennifer said...

I've only watched a couple but I've never seen him lose yet. Maybe some people like egotistical. It works for me. : )
(Just trying to beat the haters to the punch).

John Bee said...

Hmmmmmmmm... Jim's Hot Dogs !