Monday, October 20, 2008

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

Technically speaking, this is about roasting, but it's the first time I turned on my oven all week so it's close enough.

This recipe for Sticky Chicken is one of my family's favorties. It's so easy to make (dare I say set it and forget it?) and everyone loves it. Brian's Aunt Amy gave me bakeware and a cookbook as a bridal shower gift ten years ago. The book is a collection of recipes from her P.E.O. chapter in Minnesota. The Philanthropic Educational Organization promotes educational opportunities for women. I don't know Ms. Kim Carlson, but she makes a tasty sticky chicken.

Sticky Chicken
1 small frying chicken (2-3 lbs)
1 T salt
2 t oregano
2 t paprika
2 t thyme
1 t fresh ground pepper
1 t garlic powder
1 t rosemary
1 t basil
season salt, dill, lemon pepper (may be added if you like)
1 large onion, chopped

Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. Rinse and dry entire chicken. Rub the herb mixture over the skin and inside the cavity of the fryer completely. Place in a plastic bag and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. When ready to cook, remove from bag, chop onion, and place in cavity. Truss legs and roast 4-5 hours in 250-275 degree oven, basting now and again.* Spice mix may be stored for use when needed.

*I roasted this chicken for 5 hours at 250 degrees. I also tented it with foil and added a half cup water to the pan to keep it from drying out.

2 comments:

Sue said...

It sure looks gooood and Grandma said it was. I heard Elizabeth informed everyone that she wanted the leg!

Carie said...

I am going to make this now that we can turn on our ovens for more than 30 minutes without sending the ac to overload!! Yumm!