
I admit it. Every time I get the Williams-Sonoma catalog I want to whisk (pardon the pun) the kids into the kitchen, bake beautifully decorated cookies together and create loving memories for us all to treasure forever. Why, I ask you? Why do I do this to us? Oh sure. The first 30 seconds are great. The kids are filled with the anticipation of sugary treats and I'm enthusiatic about the whole project. Then, suddenly, things turn sour. I'm shouting what only amounts to meaningless one-word commands like, "Wait!" or "Gently!" or "Careful!" while flour is spilling over the mixing bowl, Matthew is trying to taste baking powder and Elizabeth is saying, "I wanna do it!"
What happened? Our loving memories aren't so loving anymore. Now they'll just remember the time we tried to make cookies and Mommy got mad. Okay, maybe I am jumping the gun a bit. They are 4 and 1 and the girl in the above picture is probably 6 or 7, right? There's probably plenty of time to create memories in the kitchen so I'll keep trying.
For now, though, unless my husband is home and can keep an eye on them, I'll let them make their own creations out of playdough at the kitchen table when I bake or make dinner. Incidentally, that's what ended up happening yesterday. When I finished cleaning up my mess, I had to go clean up their mess. But at least we have happy memories!
1 comment:
Look at you putting outside pictures in your post. Soon you'll be changing your HTML code and modifying your template. (It's not as dirty as it sounds.)
Post a Comment