Thursday, July 24, 2008

Food Network

Anyone who really knows me knows that I am a Food Network junkie. It all started innocently enough. I turned on the TV one afternoon while the kids were napping, flipped through some channels and stopped when I saw these unbelievable, over-the-top wedding cakes. It was an episode of Food Network Challenge; I was just amazed so I watched the rest of the show. Then Paula's Home Cooking came on and I fell in love with Paula Deen on the spot. I started to watch Paula's show each afternoon, and one day, I stuck around after it ended and watched Everyday Italian with Giada De Laurentiis. Then, 30-Minute Meals with Rachael Ray. Every time I watched a new show, I was hooked. My husband and I even started watching Food Network together in the evenings.

Our absolute favorite show is Good Eats. Alton Brown is not only a genius in the kitchen (he can seriously make anything at home), but also in the lab (he knows all that scientific food stuff), in the classroom (he really paid attention in history class), behind the camera (the way this show is filmed is like no other), and infront of the camera (he's just really, really entertaining). If unfamiliar, click here and watch any of the short videos on his culinary expertise, although if I may, I recommend "Origins of Egg Nog." On a holiday trip to Atlanta to visit family, we went to Harry's Farmers Market in Marietta, Georgia, for no other reason than to hopefully bump into Alton Brown. We didn't, but it was still exciting.

Anyway, I really like Food Network and I think a lot of you do, too. You know my favorite Food Network personality and I'd like to know yours so please participate in the poll on the right. It's all for fun.

And if you haven't watched Food Network at all, you really should give it a try. To borrow one of their slogans, "It's way more than cooking."

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Of the choices you gave I had to pick Alton too. I give him props for bringing the science back. But who is that other one? The young naked one? Yeah, I vote for him.

Team Thompson said...

Glad JT and I aren't the only couple that love watching the Food Network together. We are obsessed with the food challenges, ace of cakes, Top 10, and when the have the seasonal specials (like cooking/decorations at Disney World for Christmas). Love checking out your blog!!

Unknown said...

OMG, I am obsessed with Food Network as well! I got Gabi hooked too. She'll want to stay up "late" with me and ask "Is Paula Dean or Rachael Ray on?". I LOVE Paula Dean...she is so darn cute! As for Alton...I'd rather not LEARN while I am vegging out in front of the tv...haha, j/k. But I do like him on Iron Chef!